Monday, 20 January 2014

"Bridget Jones's Diary" by Helen Fielding | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Bridget Jones's Diary

AUTHOR: Helen Fielding
SERIES: Bridget Jones's Diary #1
PAGES: 310

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.7/5

MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB:

A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations? 
An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family?Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something?

WHY I LIKE IT:

I absolutely adore the protagonist of this novel. Bridget Jones is an absolutely hilarious character that, at times, made me laugh so hard. I love the diary format of this book as it makes it more personal and you understand the characters more. Also, there isn't too much description so the story is very much to the point and easy to get into. I finished this within two days and found it very gripping. Although a little predictable, the ending is rather happy and made the plot line a lot better. I feel like some of the scrapes that happen throughout could easily be relatable to a whole array of different people.

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT:
It might just be me, but on occasions I got confused about the characters as there were a lot of names to take in. I also decided I strongly dislike her mother, she made me really angry. Although I enjoyed it, the ending was predictable and that might make it less appealing to some people. 

OVERALL:

I'd give this 5/5. I think that's mainly because I knew how much hype there's been around it in the past so kind of expected more from it, but I really loved the diary format. I'd recommend this to anyone and would especially say that it's worth checking out World of Books if you'd like to find some very reasonably priced books to read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment