Thursday, 13 March 2014

"Kiss River" by Diane Chamberlain | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Kiss River

AUTHOR: Diane Chamberlain
SERIES: Kiss River #2
PAGES: 423

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.89/5

MY RATING: 4/5

This book is the second book in the "Keeper of the Light" trilogy. Me being the silly goose that I am didn't realise that it was the second book until I'd got about a quarter of the way through and then read it on Goodreads or somewhere. It's annoying because I do actually have the first book "Keeper of the Light" but by this point I was pretty gripped on the action within this novel so thought I'd just continue on with it. I'd say it works pretty well as a stand alone book to be honest. I wish the book had some clear indication on it that there was a book before it but never mind, you win some you lose some. 



BLURB:
Your future is within your grasp. How far are you willing to go?

Your adopted child is in an orphanage. Only you can save her. But you need money, a lot of money, money you just don't have.

Gina Higgins is on a desperate journey across the country. To save her daughter she must find the Kiss River lighthouse that holds the answers she so urgently needs. But the lighthouse has been destroyed and now her only hope is to uncover the secrets within an old diary, a Second World War love story that has the power to change her life forever...

WHY I LIKE IT:
I really liked the touching story line within this novel, I felt that the writing style really complimented the emotion within and really helped to enhance and emphasise the characters feelings. This is the second of Chamberlain's novels that I've read so far I've found  that they're so well thought out, it's clear to me that she puts a lot of effort into developing ideas and characters and always tries to add in unexpected moments which helped to keep me gripped throughout the book. 
I'm the type of person that isn't heavily into description and I found that this novel had a pretty good balance between description and 'to the point'-ness. There is enough detail that you get a clear image of what is going on but the description isn't excessive. 
I also really liked the characters in this novel. They go through a lot of hardship but I guess that helped me to visualise them as normal people rather than fictional characters. My favourite was definitely Clay.

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT: 
Although I said the description wasn't heavy, I found the start was very slow, however, I did have a lot of questions within the first few pages which are pretty important for the development of the novel. 
I felt as though the ending was very abrupt, although now I've found out it's part of a trilogy, maybe this was the writer's intention.

OVERALL:
I'd give this book 4/5 because I felt as though it was well thought out and the characters were brilliant. I like the fact that I managed to read this book as a stand alone without feeling like I was missing any information and I like the way Chamberlain uses lots of different emotions to portray different messages and ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment