Monday, 3 March 2014

"Marley & Me" by John Grogan | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Marley & Me

AUTHOR: John Grogan
SERIES: -
PAGES: 359

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.09/5

MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB:
The world's best dog will bring out the best in their family. 

The heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life.

WHY I LIKE IT:
I really liked the close relationship that built up between the eponymous Marley and the family that he belongs to. I found it was believable and relatable and was the perfect depiction of an owner and their pet. The amount of comedy in the book makes it entirely worth a read. It's evident how fond the author was of the clumsiness of his pet, and it's captured really well through the hilarity of this novel. 
I'm definitely not a big fan of a ton of description, and this book managed to have the right balance between description and development. I found it was a good pace and didn't go overboard on dwelling on things that weren't entirely necessary to the story. I also really liked the way that the story dealt with strong emotional issues in an honest way, creating a strong emotional response from the reader. 

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT:
I don't have many reasons not to like it to be honest. The ending is a little on the sad side but it's is inevitable and very accurate to reality which is necessary for this novel as it is technically a non-fiction book. 

OVERALL:
This book is easily getting a 5/5 as I love it so much. It was enjoyable to read and I couldn't put it down. I could rave about this book all day but I won't bore you all. Definitely get yourself a copy if you can because it's probably one of the most wonderful things I've read in a while. 


No comments:

Post a Comment