Saturday, 26 April 2014

"Divergent" by Veronica Roth | Review

SOURCE: Borrowed from Katrina (Chased By My Imagination)
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Divergent

AUTHOR: Veronica Roth
SERIES: Divergent #1
PAGES: 489

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.34/5

MY RATING: 5/5
This is the first in the Divergent trilogy. It's a YA dystopian novel with elements of fantasy and romance, and is the first book of its kind that I have read as this genre has never really appealed to me before. Nonetheless, I'm super glad I read it and absolutely loved it!

BLURB:
Sixteen-year-old Tris is forced to make a terrible choice. In a divided society where everyone must conform, Tris does not fit.

So she ventures out alone, determined to discover where she truly belongs. Shocked by her brutal new life, Tris can trust no one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her. 

The hardest choice lies ahead.

WHAT I LIKE:
I absolutely adored this book! It throws you straight into the action as soon as the story starts which is always a really positive characteristic of a book. I loved the use of the factions and the whole concept of the dystopian society that the characters live in. It was really interesting to read and was really different to anything I read normally. 
I absolutely fell in love with the characters. Tris and Four are super fabulous and are characterised really well by the author. It was really obvious to me throughout the whole of the novel that Veronica Roth knew exactly the journey she wanted her characters to go on. It was super good to read and made me want to find out more.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
Some of the characters within this novel are super annoying and there's a fair amount of violent imagery so if you don't like that sort of thing then it's probably not the book for you. That said, the novel is so clever that everyone should read it really!

OVERALL:
I really really enjoyed this book. It was gripping and took lots of different twists and turns. I also really liked the fact that the ending of this novel was not what I expected it to be. It's definitely not predictable (at least it wasn't to me) and that makes it a more worthwhile book to read. 5/5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment