Saturday, 19 April 2014

"Room" by Emma Donoghue

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback
TITLE: Room
AUTHOR: Emma Donoghue
SERIES: -
PAGES: 401

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.95/5

MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB:
Jack is five.
He lives in a single, locked room with his Ma.


WHY I LIKE IT:
This book is probably one of the most unique books I've ever read! The narrative perspective of a five year old boy is very strong and is also very different to anything I've ever seen before. Jack is very much a 'typical' five year old which makes him really endearing. To begin with, I thought that the voice of the narrator would really get on my nerves as, being five, his language is not what you'd consider 'normal'. However, it was actually very interesting to have the story from his perspective, particularly as it made for some things to be super precise and other details to be ambiguous. The withheld information used was definitely key to making the story gripping, as I spent a lot of time wondering what was going to happen next. It was very exciting trying to work it out and I absolutely loved it for that.
Also, the actual plot of the story was developed exceptionally well. There were lots of moments when I wondered 'what could possibly happen next?' but there was always something just around the corner that was to come as a big surprise to me.


WHY I DON'T LIKE IT:
Towards the end of the novel, some of the characters really got on my nerves which wasn't exactly good to read.

OVERALL:
I gave the book 4/5 stars as some of the time I did kind of switch off a bit and have to read the same sentence a few times for it to go in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment