Sunday, 13 April 2014

"The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: The Fault in Our Stars

AUTHOR: John Green
SERIES: -
PAGES: 318

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.45/5

MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at the Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

WHY I LIKE IT:

When I first started reading this book, I was really worried that I was going to be a little disappointed seeing as everyone had hyped it up so much and was telling me to read it. However, I'm super glad that I read it as it's so much better than I ever could have imagined it would be. 
The first thing to note is that John Green's writing style is pretty much sheer perfection. The way he uses words to string together some of the most beautiful sentences is utterly incredible. The symbolism and use of metaphors is exceptionally well thought out and not cliched at all. I actually envy his ability to write so well. 
The characterisation in this book is also very well done. I definitely built up a great connection with the narrator and her friends, and I know that many others do too. I think that that is mainly because their story is so relateable as I'm sure everyone knows someone who has suffered at the hands of cancer, even if they've never been through it themselves. The emotional connection that the reader builds with the characters is definitely incredibly important for the story as a whole. 
The characters themselves are absolutely great! Their blunt honesty and the way they each face their illnesses makes the novel seem very truthful and accurate to how cancer sufferers feel (although I would not know). Their courage and the way they face obstacles is so admirable and, even though they are fictional characters, they are to an extent very inspirational.

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT:
The story is so sad, as would be expected of any story that is on these sort of lines. It actually made me cry which wasn't particularly enjoyable. However, this deep sadness is necessary for adding to the beauty of the novel. 

OVERALL:
I gave this novel 5/5 on Goodreads. It's perhaps the most beautiful thing I've ever read and I intend to read it many more times in the future. I'm also super excited for the film to come out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment