Friday, 4 April 2014

"The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul" by Deborah Rodriguez | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul

AUTHOR: Deborah Rodriguez
SERIES: -
PAGES: 375

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.54/5

MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB:
In a little coffee shop in one of the most dangerous places on earth, five very different women come together.
Sunny, the proud proprietor, who needs an ingenious plan - and fast - to keep her cafe and customers safe. 
Yasmina, a young pregnant woman stolen from her remote village and now abandoned on Kabul's violent streets.
Isabel, a determined journalist with a secret that might keep her from the biggest story of her life.
Candace, a wealthy American who has finally left her husband for her Afghan lover, the enigmatic Wakil. 
And Halajan, the sixty-year-old den mother, whose long-hidden love affair breaks all the rules.
As these five women discover there's more to one another than meets the eye, they form a unique bond that will for ever change their lives and the lives of many others.

WHAT I LIKE:
This book is probably one of the most incredible books I've ever read! I absolutely love the writing style of it, which is very similar to that of Hosseini in "The Kite Runner". It's set in Afghanistan which is probably one of my favourite settings for books recently, I've read a few books about Afghan culture because I find it really interesting, and this book did not disappoint at all. The characters are so cleverly crafted and the way that they help each other and band together is really lovely to read about. It also gives a sense of how strong people can be when they work together as a team. Also, I liked the way the story shifted from character to character. There wasn't ever a moment to be bored because something was always developing or a crisis was occurring. 

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
There really isn't much to talk negatively about in this book other than the fact that you find certain characters irritating due to their narrow-minded ways. 

OVERALL:
I gave this book 5/5 on Goodreads and I would have given it more if I could! It's simply an incredible book and one that I see myself revisiting again and again. The characters were so refreshing and uplifting and honest. It's a great novel and I highly recommend you all buy yourself a copy right now and read it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment