Wednesday, 9 April 2014

"Wendy" by Karen Wallace | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Wendy

AUTHOR: Karen Wallace
SERIES: -
PAGES: 289

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 2.92/5

MY RATING: 3/5


BLURB:
Wendy's imagination never runs away with her - it flies.
Wendy Darling is not the perfect girl her parents would like her to be. Intrepid, outspoken and wilful, she's always getting into trouble.
One evening, confined to the nursery by her horrible nanny, she sneaks out to spy on her parents' glamorous parties. 
What Wendy sees changes her life forever and triggers a series of confusing adventures as she tries to solve the mysteries that lie at the heart of her family...
In this compelling and thought-provoking novel, Karen Wallace recreates the fascinating world of the privileged classes of the early twentieth century and uses one girl's story to expose the cruelty and hypocrisy behind the glittering facade. 

WHY I LIKE IT:
I absolutely loved the accurate observation of children in this novel. On reflection, I found there to be lots of very intelligent ideas presented in this novel which I discussed at length with my sister. We found it very interesting that the things that are presented as important to the children seem trivial to the adults and vice versa. The idea of the innocence of children is very strongly presented in this novel which is really well captured and makes it a very good read. Furthermore, Wallace builds a really close relationship between the reader and Wendy herself, as we feel her pain and her suffering and want to help her out.

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT:
The writing style isn't really what I'm into particularly. I've realised I'm definitely more of a modern person in terms of language choice and what not. It's definitely not poorly written or anything like that, but I did struggle a little to motivate myself to actually pick it up.

OVERALL:
I gave this book 3/5 stars on Goodreads as I felt the story was good and I did like it but I probably wouldn't read it again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment