Monday, 26 May 2014

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Hardback

TITLE: A Thousand Splendid Suns

AUTHOR: Khaled Hosseini
SERIES: -
PAGES: 367

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.3/5

MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB:
Mariam is only fifteen when she is sent to Kabul to marry Rasheed. Nearly two decades later, a friendship grows between Mariam and a local teenager, Laila, as strong as the ties between mother and daughter. When the Taliban take over, life becomes a desperate struggle against starvation, brutality and fear. Yet love can move people to act in unexpected wats, and lead them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with startling heroism.

WHAT I LIKE: 
Having read Hosseini's "The Kite Runner", I was expecting big things from this book and I definitely wasn't disappointing. Hosseini's characterisation is brilliant. Everything that happens to the two female protagonists you really feel, and his representation of women in an oppressive society makes a very bold statement. "The Kite Runner" was a male dominated book but this is definitely all about the girls, even though there still are a large number of male characters. The writing style is flowing and gives enough information to paint a picture without being waffly or dragging on and boring you half to death. The settings are presented in a believable way, as are the characters which opened my eyes to the poor treatment of people in a different culture to my own. 
I find these kinds of books really interesting to read, and they've really made me stop and think how lucky I am to be where I am in the world. 

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
I loved the novel as a whole but hated some aspects of it. Firstly, I strongly dislike Rasheed as he is probably the most infuriating character in the world. Hosseini's portrayal of him is very much a daring and probably pretty accurate one in some cases. 
I also didn't much like how someone I grew to love died, and I felt the ending was a little bit anticlimactic, although it did tie together all the ends really well.

OVERALL:
I gave this novel 4/5 stars on Goodreads, as I did love it a lot but I didn't think it was as good as "The Kite Runner" (which I gave five stars). I'd definitely recommend that people read the both of these books though, as you get a sense of perspective from both genders and they both really make you think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment