Monday, 30 June 2014

July Reading List

The past month hasn't been a particularly good reading month for me. I've managed to read a total of three books in their entirety: "Sister" by Rosamund Lupton (5 stars), "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce (5 stars) and "Allegiant" by Veronica Roth (3 stars).

In July, I'm going to aim to read around 4 books and I think I might have a higher chance of doing that as the term winds down and we come towards the summer holidays. Obviously, I may end up reading more, and if that's the case then I'll be a very happy bunny!


"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding
I've borrowed a copy of this book from school as it's on the A2 reading list. I don't really think I'm going to be carrying English on to A2 level, but some of the books on the list really intrigue me, so I felt as though I might as well burrow a few of them and read them for free while I've got the chance. 
I've just started reading it and as yet I'm not completely aware of the entire plot line, but I do know that it's about a group of young boys who end up being abandoned on an island. I also know that the story is Golding trying to make a statement about the fact that people cause problems in society, and that monsters live and grow inside us, causing evil, pain and suffering. 


"Heart-Shaped Bruise" by Tanya Byrne
I'm not entirely sure about the plot of this book either. This book is one that I bought at a really good price from The Works (it was too good to miss) and the cover is really lovely. It's something to do with a Young Offender's Institution and it seems that it is told from the perspective a girl called Emily, who is awaiting trial. 
The narrative perspective is one that I'm sure I'll find interesting, as it is implied that it may be told from the perspective of the one who, in society, would be considered the "bad guy", because of her apparent criminal past. We shall see.



"The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks
I bought this book from Sainsbury's a little while ago and was really interested to find out what it was all about, particularly as I've read some of Sparks' other work (e.g. Dear John, The Notebook, etc.) and thoroughly enjoyed it all. 
As far as I'm aware, this one's going to be all about a man name Travis Parker who meets a girl named Gabby Holland. I'm sure there'll probably some kind of romantic involvement and some massive decisions (as the title suggests), and I'm really looking forward to finding out where the author chooses to take this story. 



"The Wilderness" by Samantha Harvey
This was a charity shop find which I'm really glad I came across. I'm sure the story is going to be absolutely heartbreaking, but I've been desperate to get on with reading it for the past few months. "The Wilderness" tells the story of a man called Jake, who has lost his wife, and is losing his own memories and life to Alzheimer's. I'm sure I'll probably cry at this as I reckon it's going to absolutely be devastating, but we shall see. 
I'm in love with the cover of this, it's kind of what drew me into it in the first place, and I'm so happy that I can finally get round to reading it!


4 comments:

  1. Great post,love!You have an amazing blog.Following you via GFC now,hope you'll do the same!:)

    xoxo Antonella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'll be heading over to your blog right now :') xxx

      Delete
  2. Awesome July picks, I really love your new blog design :) can't wait to hear your thoughts on these!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete