Friday, 13 June 2014

"The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce | Review

SOURCE: Borrowed from Katrina (Chased By My Imagination)
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

AUTHOR: Rachel Joyce
SERIES: -
PAGES: 357

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.87/5

MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB:
When Harold Fry leaves home one morning to post a letter, with his wife hoovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other. 

He has no hiking boots or map, let alone a compass, waterproof or mobile phone. All he knows it that he must keep walking. To save someone else's life. 

WHAT I LIKE: 
I didn't know what to expect when I first started the book as I didn't know much about it and I didn't want to look too much into it and spoil it for myself. It's my sister's book and seeing as she was excited to read it, I thought it was definitely worth giving it a shot because she usually knows what she's doing! 
I really love the way that this story goes. It's the tale of a very determined man who walks from Kingsbridge to Berwick, and it was adorable. The two main characters, Harold and Maureen, are absolutely brilliant. Joyce gives the reader lots of information about their back stories and this helps to propel them towards their ultimate destination in the story. Furthermore, the 'ordinary' people that Harold meets on his way are both intriguing and strangely beautiful. 

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
There's not much to say that I don't like really, other than occasionally I felt Harold's thoughts and feelings distracted from the journey and set the story back a bit, so sometimes the pace was a little on the slow side. Nonetheless, it does reflect the average life well and that makes the novel very relatable to lots of people.

OVERALL:
I absolutely loved this book so I gave it five stars! The characters were great and the journey that they all took really reflected true life and was exceptionally inspiring to me. I found the back stories touching and they made the novel really worth reading. I definitely recommend that you grab yourselves a copy of this because it gives a really beautiful and honest perception of life as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment