Thursday, 31 July 2014

August Reading List

I mentioned in my July Reading List four books that I wanted to get through in the month of July, but I didn't strictly stick to the ones that I'd said. I've read three of them but actually didn't read "The Wilderness" by Samantha Harvey, and I'll be reading that at some point in the next couple of months. 

I've managed to complete four books this month: "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding (4 stars), "Heart-Shaped Bruise" by Tanya Byrne (4 stars), "The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks (3 stars) and "Boy Meets Boy" by David Levithan (4 stars). And I'm currently reading a fifth book: "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" by JK Rowling. 


August is going to be the month where I really try and 'go for it', as it's the least busy month of my year, and so I full intend to try and get through as many books as possible! I'm hoping to get at least 5, but have decided to mention the next 8 books I'm reading, as you never know, I might do exceptionally well!



"The Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes
I bought this book a while ago from a charity shop, as I was super intrigued by the rather beautiful cover which I absolutely adore. At 150 pages, this book shouldn't take me long to get through, and I'm really excited to find out what it's all about. The impression I get from Goodreads is that it's something to do with a man named Tony who is now retired and divorced. I think it might be him recounting the memories he has of when he was a young boy at sixth-form, and the trials and tribulations of himself and his friends while navigating their way through hormonal teenage years. 



"Dancing in the Dark" by P.R. Prendergast
This is a book my sister bought while on holiday on a bit of a whim. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to feel about this book, but at only 180 pages-ish, it's definitely going to be a quick read (which is useful when trying to hit a target of ten books in a month). It looks as though it's going to be a pretty interesting one, and although (to me) the cover isn't that great looking, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has a 3.83 average rating on Goodreads, which means that ultimately it's probably going to be a lot better than I imagined it would be. You know what they say - never judge a book by it's cover!



 "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets", "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" by J. K. Rowling
Some of you may be shocked to know that I've never read the Harry Potter series, and seeing as I've finally got on to book one, I've decided it's about time to really give the series a shot. If you've not heard of this book then where have you been? 
In essence, it follows the life of a young boy named Harry, who goes to a magic school called Hogwarts, and if you've not read the books then you've probably seen the films. 
It's a massively hyped up series, and therefore I feel inclined to read it, and I've now seen bits of all of the films and really enjoyed them so it felt like now was the right time to get on with it. 
Book two gets an average star rating on Goodreads of 4.29 and book three gets an average of 4.46, so clearly people are thinking that the series is going to improve as it goes along. We shall see!



"China Dolls" by Lisa See
This is another book that I'm going to borrowing from my sister. It arrived in the post for her a couple of weeks ago and I was actually really drawn to it because of the cover and the blurb. 
The story is set in 1938, and follows three girls from different backgrounds: Ruby, Grace and Helen. They're all auditioning to be showgirls at 'Oriental' nightclub in San Francisco. The girls have their differences, but they become quite dependent on each other until the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, and then everything changes.
The book seems like it's going to be full of mystery and emotion, and I'm super excited to get stuck in!


"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
This book has intrigued me since it first appeared on my sister's bookshelf. The Goodreads description literally states this: 
"A boy of many faiths. A 450-pound bengal tiger. A shipwreck. A lifeboat. The pacific ocean."
And with an average rating of 3.86, I want to read this before watching the film, because who wants to ruin the plot of a book?
"This Lullaby" by Sarah Dessen
I started reading this book several years ago, and may have actually got through it but I genuinely can't remember what actually happened so I thought I'd give it another go. 
The cover's beautiful and as far as the blurb says, the story is destined to be too. It's a young adult romance, and it follows Rey, whose father has sadly died and whose mother has got through several failed marriages. Naturally, she believes that this is what her life will be like until she meets Dexter. 
With an average rating of 4.06, I'm super excited to read this!




"Atonement" by Ian McEwan
This little book is one that I'm reading because it's on my English reading list. A girl in my English class did a little presentation on it in a lesson and it sounded really interesting. 
It's about a young girl's misinterpretation of the relationship between her older sister and the son of a servant. Due to this, it is suggested that a crime has been committed, and the repercussions of this crime change the lives of the people involved forever.





And that is it for this month's reading list! I don't know how successful I'm going to be in completing all of these novels, but I'm definitely going to give it a go and see how I do! 

Let me know in the comments if you've read any of these before, or if you intend on reading any of them in the future! 


2 comments:

  1. Never have read any of those, got Life of Pi as a freebie on my Kindle - might give it a read sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure Kat's reading it right now, I'll let you know what I think when I get round to it! ;)

      Delete