Tuesday, 8 July 2014

"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding | Review

SOURCE: Borrowed from school
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Lord of the Flies
AUTHOR: William Golding
SERIES: -
PAGES: 248

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.6/5

MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB:

A plane crashes on a desert island and the only survivors, a group of school boys, assemble on the beach and wait to be rescued. By day they inhabit a land of bright fantastic birds and dark blue seas, but at night their dreams are haunted by the image of a terrifying beast. As the boys' delicate sense of order fades, so their childish dreams are transformed into something more primitive, and their behaviour starts to take on murderous, savage significance.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: 

I'd heard exceptionally mixed things about this book. My parents both studied it at school and described it as "weird" which kind of made me feel as though they weren't all that positive about it. However, a lot of people in my english class seemed pretty excited about it so I thought I'd give it a shot, and I'm super glad I did. 

OPENING: 

I found the opening was quite enticing. It was a little ambiguous in places but ultimately this helped to add depth and intrigue into the story as a whole. Ralph and Piggy, who are both introduced very early on in the opening of the book, make a massive impact on the story as a whole, as I got a great sense of the urgency of their situation. 

CHARACTERS:

My favourite character was definitely Simon. To be honest, he was the only one who really had an idea about what was going on with regard to this terrifying 'beast' that was haunting them, the others seemed a little oblivious. I did feel sorry for Piggy, but I found his character exceptionally annoying throughout the whole novel, so it was hardly surprising to me that he was treated the way he was. Equally, I didn't much like Jack but I don't think I was meant to. 
There was a definite clear journey that the characters took within themselves. I felt as though there was a great contrast between their initial introductions and how they developed and changed through the course of the novel which I really liked about it. 

SETTING:

The book is set on a desert island and is really interesting to read about. There were moments when I found it difficult to imagine what segments of the island looked like but overall the description was clear and not too heavy-going. Furthermore, the use of parallels in the book was very interesting. I felt as though the setting really reflected the boys' actions and this added an extra dimension to the novel as a whole.

OVERALL: 

A very interesting read. It was definitely not what I expected, but I don't really know what I was actually expecting. It was a great little book that didn't take me too long to get through and I'm glad I got to read it because I feel like I can tick it off my metaphorical list of 'books to read in my life'. 
I gave the book 4/5 stars as it was interesting, written really well and had a good balance between description and action. 


No comments:

Post a Comment