Saturday, 9 August 2014

"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" by J.K. Rowling | Review

SOURCE: Borrowed from my sister
TYPE: Hardback

TITLE: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
AUTHOR: J.K. Rowling
SERIES: 1/7
PAGES: 223

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.38/5
MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB: 
When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Escaping from his unbearable Muggle guardians to Hogwarts, a wizarding school brimming with ghosts and enchantments, Harry stumbles into a sinister adventure when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers which could be valuable, dangerous, or both.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: 
Given the popularity of this series of books, I knew that one day I'd just have to read them. 
I started trying to read the books a few years back, but for one reason or another I never quite managed to motivate myself to read them. 
I've seen most of the films so already knew the basic storyline of the book, but was interested to see how the films and books differ.

OPENING: 
The opening chapter, titled 'The Boy Who Lived' introduces us to the Dursley family, a rather average family who seem (to me) to think they're above everyone else. It's a very strong opening chapter because so much happens in such a short space of time!

CHARACTERS:
Our protagonist, Harry Potter, is simply fantastic. He's a really strong character, exceptionally brave and exceptionally daring. With the support of both Ron and Hermione, the three characters go on a rather interesting little adventure, battling against evil powers - and Peeves! Throughout the entire novel, the three of them are exceptionally close and make a really great team, even though Hermione is irritating. 
I really love the way Rowling describes her characters, and the fact that each of the key characters are very individual and easy to identify. There are so many characters mentioned throughout the novel that it would be easy to get confused, but somehow Rowling has made each one so distinctive that they're difficult to forget.

SETTING:
The enchanting wizard world is incredible - moving photographs and chocolate frogs sound fabulous to me. Of course with the good comes the bad - ghosts and the potential to get lost on moving staircases. It's a great little school and it's unsurprising that almost everyone that reads the book wonders where their acceptance letter has got to. I'd love to have gone there, it just sounds so fun and full of surprises.

OVERALL: 
I gave the book a 4 star rating because I really enjoyed it. It's so well written and incredibly exciting to read. I managed to immerse myself in the book so well that I really felt myself wondering why I never got the chance to go to Hogwarts myself. It's an awesome little book and I'm so glad I finally got into the book! 


5 comments:

  1. Ahh one of my fav books! PS - I've nominated you for the Beautiful Blog Award, check out the full post here! xx

    Emily | Lynde Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this book series! Have you read all the books yet (like second time round) or just starting for the first time?
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the first time i've read them! loved the first one, definitely continuing with the series :'D xx

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these yet! And I know I need to soon because well, everyone loves the books. I haven't even watched the movies. Seeing someone who didn't read them as a child and still enjoyed them makes me want to read this all the more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I continually put off reading them purely because I was unsure about them due to the hype around them, especially as it seemed that everyone else grew up reading them and I never bought into that at the time. I'm glad that I did get the chance to read this one though and I'm determined to get the whole series finished!
      I've not watched all the films yet, but I'm going to try and do a bit of a marathon on them when I've finished reading - we shall see how that turns out, haha!

      Delete