Monday, 18 August 2014

Strawberry Shortcakes


Last week I posted up a Chocolate Brownie Cake recipe which I really enjoyed baking and thought some of you lot might like to try at some stage. I decided that I'd quite like to share a segment on my blog that includes the recipes that I'm making, as I feel that this will encourage me to keep challenging myself and trying new and exciting concoctions in food. 

For this week's recipe, I decided to ask my sister what to bake. After flicking through lots of cookery books and a lot of debating, she came up with the idea of Strawberry Shortcakes. I absolutely adore this recipe, the cakes came out really well and were absolutely delicious, even though they definitely weren't particularly neat, and it was nice to try something really different to what I'm used to making! Without further ado, here is this week's recipe...


Strawberry Shortcakes - makes 6


Ingredients:

85g butter (and extra for greasing)
225g self-raising flour (and extra for dusting)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g caster sugar
1 egg
2-3 tablespoons milk (and extra for brushing)
Filling/Decoration:
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g cream cheese
2 tablespoons icing sugar
400g strawberries

Method:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
2. Lightly grease a large baking sheet
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a bowl
4. Chop the butter into small chunks and add to the bowl, then rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs
5. Place the egg and two tablespoons of the milk into a bowl and beat together, then stir in the dry ingredients with a fork to form a soft, but not sticky, dough, adding a tiny amount more milk if necessary
6. Lightly sprinkle flour onto a work surface and then turn the dough out onto the surface
7. Sprinkle a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough until it is about 2cm thick, cut round shapes out of it with a 7cm cutter
8. Press the trimmings together and roll out more rounds, then place all of the rounds on a baking sheet and brush the tops with milk
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown and quite firm
10. Once cooked, leave to cool on a wire rack
Filling/Decoration:
11. Stir vanilla extract into the cream cheese with two tablespoons of the icing sugar. 
12. Choose the six nicest strawberries and cut the green leaves off of the top, leave these to one side
13. Slice the remaining strawberries into quarters 
14. Split the shortcakes in half horizontally (this bit can be quite tricky because shortcake can be very crumbly)
15. Spoon a reasonable amount of the cream cheese mixture onto each half of the shortcakes
16. Add the sliced strawberries onto the base of each cake and then place the lid of the cake back on top
17. Top each cake with one of the six strawberries that you left aside at the beginning
18. Enjoy!

This cake took a while longer than my previous recipe, probably because of the amount of time spent prepping strawberries. Nonetheless, the results were fabulous and well worth the wait! My family really enjoyed them!


4 comments:

  1. I tried your chocolate brownie recipe and they turned out great and tasted awesome! I am definitely going to try this one out as well, even though I am unsure whether I can actually have strawberries - I'm not sure if that season is over here or not. But I will try it. Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my review and giveaway: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/08/legacy-glow-book-review-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh :') Glad you liked them! Haha, good luck, let me know if you find strawberries! :')

      Delete