Tuesday, 26 August 2014

The Ice Bucket Challenge

Today I completed the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS. I was nominated by my friend Caz and thought I'd get it over and done with. 

I'm writing this post in the aftermath of the event, while snuggled on the sofa in my fox onesie,  and I decided to do a little bit of research into the disease so that I could understand it a little better. 

ALS is Amyotrophic Lacteral Sclerosis and is a progressive degenerative disease that affects the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. As the motor neurons die, the brain loses its ability to control muscle movement meaning that patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralysed. Ultimately, this can lead to the death of the patient. 


ALS is one of the most common neuromuscular diseases in the world, and everyone can be affected by the disease. According to my research, men are affected more often than women, but everyone is at risk as there is no clear correlation (as far as I'm aware) between people's lives and their risk of the disease. The cause of the disease is not known at present. 


If you'd like to donate then head over to http://www.alsa.org/ 


Without further ado, here's my ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE.



video

It was freezing cold, but super worth it. I'm actually pretty chuffed with myself for doing it.


Let me know if you've got involved with the Ice Bucket Challenge in the comments below, or if you've donated!


No comments:

Post a Comment