Thursday, 4 September 2014

"Paper Towns" by John Green | Review

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Paper Towns
AUTHOR: John Green
SERIES: -
PAGES: 305

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.07/5
MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB: 
"The thing about Margo Roth Spiegelman is that really all I could ever do was let her talk, and then when she stopped talking encourage her to go on, due to the facts that 1. I was incontestably in love with her, and 2. she was absolutely unprecedented in every way, and 3. she never really asked me any questions..."

Quentin Jacobson has always loved Margo from afar. So when she climbs through his window to summon him on an all-night road trip of revenge he cannot help but follow. But the next morning, Q turns up at school and Margo doesn't. She's left clues to her disappearance, like a trail of breadcrumbs for Q to follow.

And everything leads to one unavoidable question:
Who is the real Margo?

INITIAL THOUGHTS: 
After reading The Fault In Our Stars, I had really high hopes for the rest of John Green's novels and so decided to pick up this one next, as it's been highly recommended to me by my friend Sam. 

OPENING: 
The novel starts with a prologue which sets up the relationship between Margo and Q. Immediately, the adoration Q has for her is evident as he describes his "miracle" as "living next door to Margo Roth Spiegelman".
Within this prologue, the closeness of the two characters is clearly portrayed seeing as (it appears) they've been through a lot together.

CHARACTERS:
My favourite character in this novel is definitely Radar, Q's nerdy best friend who appears pretty selfless and a genuinely nice guy. He's very useful when it comes to helping Q out, and juxtaposes Q's other friend, Ben, who appears selfish and uninterested (and was also really annoying). 
Q himself is a reasonable character, although I found him a little obsessive and that just made him a bit weird to me. 
Margo was a great character who was clearly desperate to get away, although I'm still not sure I really understand entirely why.

SETTING:
It's set in a very ordinary and average place. The characters are coming up to their graduation day, so there are lots of parties and quite a few moments set in the school which was nice to read as it's how people might perceive a stereotypical teenager to behave. 

OVERALL: 
I did really enjoy the book so gave it 4/5 stars. I toyed with the idea of giving it 5 for a long while, but was really disappointed with the ending so just couldn't bring myself to give away full marks. It's a shame because the book wa just so brilliantly written but it did leave me thinking what is the point? 


4 comments:

  1. Sam ruined the ending for me cos I said I probably wouldn't read it - at the time I didn't know what the book was about so wasn't sure I would read it anyway. Now I don't want to at all having been told the ending :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only John Green book I have read is TFiOS. I am not sure about reading Paper towns, because I am one of those people who really don't like flat endings and they leave me feeling like the whole book was a waste of time. Maybe I will try Looking for Alaska. But this was a great review! Thanks for sharing :)

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/09/make-up-in-society-guest-post-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before this one I'd only read TFIOS. Green's writing is fab in this book, but the ending definitely let it down for me so I totally see where you coming from. I've got Looking for Alaska to read at some stage (among a whole host of other books) so let me know if you get round to reading it before I do! xx

      Delete