Saturday, 4 October 2014

Six Degrees of Separation | "1984" by George Orwell


My lovely sister (Chased By My Imagination) has been doing this for the last few months, and this month I thought I would give it a try! The rules are above (as you can see), and it was created by Emma Chapman and Annabel Smith feel free to give this a little try if you have some spare time!

This month's chosen book is "1984" by George Orwell, a book that I own but have not read (yet!).
This little book is one that was on the English Literature reading list at the end of Year 12. Although I have not decided to carry on with English this year, I have decided to try and read as many of the books from that list as possible.
I thought I'd start by connecting it to another book that I really liked the look of from that particular list, one that I intend on reading in the near future, Angela Carter's "The Magic Toyshop". I had to write a summary of this book for a presentation last year, so I already know the basic plot line, but I'd love to read it and find out all the details. There was one aspect of the book that really stood out to me, and that was the idea of magical realism, something that I actually quite like in a book.
Therefore, my next link is to "Landline" by Rainbow Rowell, a book I read last month and absolutely adored! It's a fabulous little story about a woman who's having some relationship issues, and she gets the chance to speak to her husband in the past through an old telephone she finds. It's a really interesting concept, something I'd not heard of before, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Due to all the excitement and the 5-star-rating I gave Landline, I decided to connect it to the first book I read in 2014, "Pictures of Lily" by Paige Toon. Another book that involves a young woman that can't decide what she wants. Quite a large portion of the book is actually what happened to the girl in the past (it's all very retrospective) and it's also set in Australia which is nice as I find a lot of the books I read are either American or Britain based.
As one of the most outstanding things to me in Pictures of Lily was the retelling of a young girl's youth, I thought I'd mention a book that I was pretty fond of when I was younger, which also tells the story of a young girl. "The Story of Tracy Beaker" by Jacqueline Wilson was pretty much my 'go to' book when I was younger, I loved the TV series too because I always felt that the characters in the programme were a good representation of the way Wilson had written about them in the story.
As I liked that book so much, and it was all about a child in a difficult position, told from a child's perspective, I thought I'd talk about a book called "Room" by Emma Donoghue next. It's a very interesting story with a very different viewpoint to any books I'd read before it. It's told from the perspective of a five-year-old boy. It's tricky at first because you have to put yourself in the mindset of someone who is potentially a lot younger than you, but when you get into it, it's amazing. It's probably one of the most heartbreaking books I've ever read, and it's told so beautifully.
Talking of heartbreaking books, why not mention John Green's "The Fault in Our Stars"? To this day, it's still one of the most emotive books I've read. Green's use of words is spectacular and the way that he represents the relationship between Gus and Hazel is incredible. I absolutely adored the story and I adored the film equally. It's a horrible book for breaking my heart so much, but a fantastic book for portraying how illness doesn't always have to get in the way. The fight shown in the characters is something admirable (even though they're fictional) and the positive way that they approach things and try and stay upbeat when things are actually super hard is something that, although maybe not entirely realistic, I have tried to do/be every day of my life since reading it.


5 comments:

  1. This is my favourite book meme :) It's great to see how different chains everyone makes, starting with the same book. My chain is here: http://marelden.com/?p=4564

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check it out right now! Cheers for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. I really like your list. I haven't read any of the books you use!
    I have only read good reviews of The Fault in Our Stars and even own a copy but have never got around to reading it. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do so...
    Here's my list for this month: http://wp.me/p3dB1g-ix
    Hope to see you again next month :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think you should read it!
      You too! :)

      Delete
  3. You have some really nice covers in your post this month! I haven't read any of these except The Fault In Our Stars, but there are a couple I plan to read; Room and Landline. Great post.
    Here's my 6 Degrees post...
    http://mytime2read.blogspot.com/2014/10/six-degrees-of-separation-1984.html

    ReplyDelete