Thursday, 27 November 2014

Life of a Blogger | Thanksgiving Traditions



This week's Life of a Blogger post is all about "Thanksgiving Traditions".

This is a particularly tricky topic for me, because I don't know much at all about thanksgiving. I don't celebrate it.
I've done a very small amount of research into thanksgiving, and I thought that I'd share a handful of the facts that I discovered along the way.

Thanksgiving is a national holiday that is predominantly celebrated in the US and Canada. The celebration is rooted in English traditions dating from the Protestant Reformation. In the tradition, days of giving thanks became important during the reign of Henry VIII, in response to the large number of Catholic holidays. The sheer amount of holidays required people to take lots of time off work, and therefore many Puritans called to remove Church holidays completely.

In America, it is traditionally a day for families and friends to get together for a meal which often includes turkey, stuffing, vegetables and gravy (much like the good old Christmas dinner I have yearly).
There are lots of parades in cities and towns on or around Thanksgiving, and many businesses and schools are closed.

All in all, Thanksgiving sound pretty awesome. 
If you're celebrating Thanksgiving this year then I hope you have a super awesome day!


No comments:

Post a Comment