Saturday, 8 November 2014

Six Degrees of Separation | "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler


Six Degrees of Separation is a meme created by Emma Chapman and Annabel Smith.
This month's chain is beginning with We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. Like last month, I've not read this book yet. I've definitely seen the cover before but I've never read what the book is about so know next to nothing about it. The cover is so bright and sunny, and I really like it. The tree really stands out to me on this cover, and so I thought I'd link it to another beautiful book cover that includes a tree.
The Wilderness by Samantha Harvey is about an old man, Jake, with Alzheimer's. I've still not quite got round to reading this book, I think it's going to break my heart, but I do really want to and it's definitely on my list of books to read in the near (ish) future. As far as I can tell from what I've read about the book, the plot follows Jake recounting some of his memories. Another book I've read that relies on the recounting of the past is a wonderful book called Sister by Rosamund Lupton.
I read this book back in June and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's an amazing story that I gave a five star rating. It's about the bond between two sisters, Beatrice and Tess. Tess goes missing in this book, and Beatrice is determined to find her. The plot is fantastic and kept me gripped throughout, and I was genuinely interested to find out what was going to happen next.
This little gem leads me on to a little book my sister bought me a couple of months ago for doing well in my AS exams. Not only does it connect because my sister gave it to me, but it's also actually by the same author.
Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton is about a fire. At this point, I've not read the book but I do really want to find time to read it soon because I enjoyed Sister so much. As far as I can tell, it's about a strong bond between a mother and her daughter, and the risks the mother is willing to take in order to save and protect her family.
The next book that this leads me to was included in last month's Six Degrees of Separation post. Room by Emma Donoghue is about the strong bond between a mother and her son. It's such a well written book and one that I really enjoyed reading, although at times I did find it difficult to understand (five year old boys aren't exactly the best at speaking English). I felt that the story gave me much more information than I had expected to be given and for that reason I have decided to link it to a book that I actually really disliked.
F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is easily one of the least enjoyable books I've ever had to read. If I hadn't been studying it for English then I definitely would not have bothered finishing it. I felt that I was definitely being giving more information than I'd expected, but not in a good way like in Room. It was dull and quite frankly, I was thrilled to finish studying it!
This book leads me to the final book of my chain which is Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner which I also had to read for English last year. I absolutely adored this book and was actually really captured and moved by it. It's a beautiful story about a young boy named Amir, and his friendship with Hassan. It's set during difficult times in Afghanistan and it really opened my eyes to so many different things that I feel I was blind to before reading this novel.




And that's my chain! Let me know in the comments whether you've read any of these books and post links to your chains! I'd love to see how our results compare.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for joining the meme, Beverley. Room was such a brilliant read. When I had to read The Great Gatsby for high school I loathed it. Two years later I had to read it again for uni and I must have been ready for it by then because I loved it and it is now one of my very favourite books. I hope one day you might get a second chance at it and change your mind. I also loved The Kite Runner - a heartbreaking story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably try and revisit Gatsby at some point, glad to have a break from it at the moment though!
      Thanks for popping over :') xx

      Delete
  2. I love The Great Gatsby!

    Here's my (belated) chain this month: http://wp.me/p3dB1g-lz
    See you in December!

    ReplyDelete