Friday, 12 December 2014

"Girl Online" by Zoe Sugg | Review

SOURCE: Gift from Amy (That Hypermobile Girl)
TYPE: Hardback

TITLE: Girl Online
AUTHOR: Zoe Sugg
SERIES: -
PAGES: 352

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.94/5
MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB: 
Penny has a secret...
Under the alias Girl Online, Penny blogs her hidden feelings about friendship, boys, her crazy family and the panic attacks that have begun to take over her life. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets Noah: a gorgeous, guitar-strumming American. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment of it on her blog.

But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: 
I've been a fan of Zoella for ages now, so when I found out that she was writing a book, I was super excited. I was a bit scared that it was going to be rubbish because I really wanted her to do well. Amy bought it for me on my birthday, and as soon as I'd finished "Eleanor & Park" I got straight on with it!

OPENING: 
At the beginning of the story, I couldn't help but imagine Zoe while reading it. I felt there were some parallels between her own life and the life of her character, Penny, and to begin with this was a bit of a distraction. After a while, though, I did really manage to get into the story. I stopped seeing Penny as Zoe, and started seeing her as her own character with a life separate from Zoe's.

CHARACTERS:
My favourite character was easily Noah. Why? Because he's so "perfect" all the way through. The relationship between Penny and Noah happens so quickly but still seems genuine and the way he treats her and understands her is something that I believe a lot of people strive for.
I didn't really like Elliot, Penny's best friend, as a character too much. He had his own troubles throughout the book, but most of the time he just seemed jealous and possessive of Penny, as if he were constantly trying to be a part of her life, and was always trying to be in the frame.

SETTING:
I really loved the parts of the book that were set in Brighton. I love Brighton, and know a bit about it so it was easy for me to pick up, read and imagine. The New York sections were harder and weren't so gripping to me, mainly because I've never been there.
I also really like the fact that the book is set around Christmas. It was definitely a good choice this month, and was so worth reading in the end, if only to get me in the Christmas spirit!

OVERALL: 

I gave this book 5 stars in the end. The way the book is written is so easy to get into and really kept me gripped throughout the entire story. I know there has been lots of controversy surrounding this book, and people may even say that my review is biased simply because of the amount of respect I have for Zoe. That is simply not the case, if I had not enjoyed the ending as much as I did, this book would have only been getting a 4 star review because it is not, by any means, perfect. The ending really shocked me though, and I did not see what was coming. The plot-twist was incredible and that alone got this book it's 5 stars.
I suggest that people read this book all the way through before casting judgement on it. It's actually really good.


3 comments: