Thursday, 29 January 2015

2014 End of Year Book Survey


I saw this on Kat's blog a couple of days ago. I know it's a bit late now to be doing a sort of 2014 wrap up, but thought I'd give it a go, simply because I quite like some of the questions. I took some of the ones I didn't like out.


Number Of Books I Read: 39
A pretty solid total, I thought. I beat my reading target by 4 so I'm a happy bunny.

Number Of Re-Reads: 0
Not properly, anyway. I had to re-read a couple of books for my English exam, but ultimately I didn't do that properly.

Genre I Read The Most From: YA Contemporary 
I actually read some bloody good contemporary fiction last year, particularly aimed at young adults.


Best Book: 
'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

A long but beautiful story. I was massively moved by it.

Book I Was Excited About And Thought I Would Love More But Didn't:
'The Virgin Suicides' by Jeffrey Eugenides

I heard a lot of good stuff about this book, read it and end up giving it a two star review. What a disappointment.


Most Surprising Book I Read:
'Room' by Emma Donoghue

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book, if I'm honest. It was so different to anything I've read before but was so fantastic.

Book You Pushed The Most People To Read:
'Divergent' by Veronica Roth

I spent an exceptionally long time trying to convince people in my English class to pick this book up!

Best Series Started:
The 'Harry Potter' Series by J.K. Rowling

It's pretty shocking that I hadn't started it until last year, I intend on making a lot of progress (and potentially finishing it) in 2015!

Best Sequel:
'The School for Good and Evil: A World Without Princes' by Soman Chainani

I was actually sent the first and second books in this series for review, but genuinely loved them both. 

Best Series Ender:
'Allegiant' by Veronica Roth

Unfortunately, the Divergent series was the only series I completed last year, and therefore I'm going to have to put this here. I actually didn't really like Allegiant, but it was the only choice.

Favourite New Author:
Rainbow Rowell

I absolutely loved 'Eleanor & Park' and 'Landline'. 

Best Book Outside Of Typical Genre/Comfort Zone:
'The Woman in Black' by Susan Hill

I completed it in just a few hours with my sister, and actually really liked it. It did spook me out though!


Most Unputdownable Book:
'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

I managed to get through this in literally a couple of days. I absolutely adored it.

Most Likely To Reread:
'A Swift Pure Cry' by Siobhan Dowd

I'd love to remind myself of all the fine details in this story.

Favourite Cover:

'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes


I didn't really like the story (2 stars) but I loved the cover of my copy!


Most Memorable Character:
Four from 'Divergent'

What an attractive sounding man.

Most Beautifully Written Book:
'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

I was absolutely thrilled with the writing style in this book. I just simply loved it more than anything else I read last year.


Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book:
'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

This book really moved me and made me stop and think. Highly recommended.

Book I Can't Believe I Waited To Read:
'Divergent' by Veronica Roth

Divergent is certainly winning a lot of awards here, but I genuinely can't believe that I waited so long to read it.

Favourite Passage/Quote:
"Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it"- From 'Divergent' by Veronica Roth

Shortest Book:
'A Swift Pure Cry' by Siobhan Dowd

Longest Book:
'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

Book That Shocked Me The Most:
'The Lord Of The Flies' by William Golding.

Kat chose the same as me, but I genuinely didn't expect it to be so good. And the end was just perfect. 

OTP Of The Year:
Hazel & Augustus from 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

Favourite Non-Romantic Relationship:
Jack & Ma from 'Room' by Emma Donaghue

Favourite Book From A Previously Read Author:
'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini

I'm pretty surprised Hosseni hasn't come up more often in this list because he's such a fantastic author! I read 'The Kite Runner' in 2013 and loved that, and I also adored 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.


Best Book That Was Solely Recommended To Me:
'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

Thanks Kat for the recommendation, good shout!

Newest Fictional Crush:
Four from 'Divergent' by Veronica Roth

I kind of mentioned this earlier... 

Best 2014 Debut:
'Landline' by Rainbow Rowell

A fantastic story that I actually really loved.

Best World-Building:
'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' by J.K. Rowling

Book That Made Me Smile:
'Girl Online' by Zoe Sugg

It made me smile for it's simplicity, it's beauty and the fact that it is written by someone so inspirational to me. 

Book That Made Me Cry:
'Marley & Me' by John Grogan

Who likes reading stories about a dog dying? Me, I suppose, but it was super sad.

Hidden Gem Of The Year:
'The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul' by Deborah Rodriguez

It was so interesting and beautiful, and I loved it.

Book That Crushed Your Soul:
'The Bookseller of Kabul' by Asne Seierstad

The truth of this book was what really destroyed. It's non-fiction, and the fact that I was aware of this only made it a harder read.

Most Unique Book:
'Room' by Emma Donoghue

The narrative perspective in this book is simply beautiful and I loved it.

Book That Made Me Angry:
'Dancing in the Dark by P.R. Prendergast

It was such a terribly written story. I massively disliked it.


My Favourite Blog:
It's going to have to be a choice between Kat and Amy, both of whom I love dearly.

My Favourite Review That I Wrote:
The best review I wrote was for the "The School for Good and Evil" series, which was the first review I wrote that allowed me to giveaway a copy to my lovely followers.

Best Moment Of My Bookish/Blogging Life:
Making lovely and beautiful blogging friends, and getting involved in the blogging community.

Most Popular Post On The Blog:
My review of "The Library of Fragrance"'s perfume "SNOW"

Reading Challenges/Goals That I Completed:
I managed to hit 39/35 books on my Goodreads reading challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment