Friday, 2 January 2015

"Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell | Review

SOURCE: Gift from Peter
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Fangirl
AUTHOR: Rainbow Rowell
SERIES: -
PAGES: 461

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 4.2/5
MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB: 
Cath and Wren are identical twins and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She would rather bury herself in the fan fiction she writes where there's romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.

Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realising that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible...

INITIAL THOUGHTS: 
I asked for this for my birthday because I really wanted to read another of Rainbow Rowell's books. I was super happy to receive it, and got onto reading it as soon as I could. 

OPENING: 
I actually really liked the opening of this book. I felt it was quite strong because it gave a very nice picture of the whole story. You immediately gained a sense of the narrator's personality, and it also eased you in to the set up of the book which I think was important.

CHARACTERS:
My favourite character was, by far, Levi. He is definitely the "dream" as it were.
I felt that the twins, Cath and Wren, worked well because of their differences being such polar opposites. It was interesting to see that the two of them reacted very differently to various situations that they were faced with.

SETTING:
The book is predominantly set in an American college, I believe, making it somewhere quite relatable to the probable target audience. The characters respond well to their setting, and seem to match it quite well. 
The different times and settings really help to develop the plot quickly and ultimately I was super happy with the speed the book. 

OVERALL: 

I gave the book four stars. I loved it, don't get me wrong, and throughout a majority of it I intended on marking it a solid 5 stars, but in the end I felt that sticking with 4 was better. I wasn't too keen on the way the book finished, because I felt it was a bit too predictable. Nonetheless, it was a good read and I good book to finish at the start of 2015. I hope the remainder of my year in books is just as joyous as this one!


2 comments:

  1. Guess what my first book of the year will be if you're so kind as to let me borrow it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring it in tomorrow if I remember! :) xx

      Delete