Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Shakespeare in Love


On Monday 29th December, while in London, Peter and I headed down to the Noel Coward Theatre to watch Shakespeare in Love.

I didn't know what to expect, if I'm honest, particularly as I haven't seen the film (which was released when I was only two years old), but as Peter's flatmate, Sandy, is in the production, I figured it was probably worth a look.

Pre-show, Peter and I got a little mini tour of the theatre. Sandy showed us around and explained a few bits, and Peter got to speak to the sound guy which I'm pretty sure he was thrilled about. It's a nice theatre, and the production has a simple set. It was bizarre standing on the stage and looking out, can't deny. It's rare that we get the chance to view things from a different direction, and it was nice to have the opportunity in this case.

Peter and I took a little wander around Theatre Land and headed into a few shops including the Apple Store (just for a peek, we obviously didn't buy anything) and the Disney Store (in which  I purchased Kermit, who quickly became a massive part of my life).

It was really rather beautiful around London on that particular evening, the Christmas lights were still up and the whole vibe was exceptionally striking, even though the abundance of people made me feel rather anxious. The two of us headed into Caffe Nero for a quick bite to eat before the performance started. It was a simple, but the company was good and that's what really matters.

Having never seen the show before, as I say, I really didn't know what to expect. I imagined all the things that the word 'Shakespeare' usually highlights in people's minds. I was excited, not knowing what to expect made me feel that sort of nervous excitement you get when you're about to try something for the first time.

We were sat in the Royal Circle (thanks to Sandy) and we actually had fantastic seats. Having not been to the theatre in a while, I'd forgotten the anticipation you get when the lights go down.

The show, on the whole, was actually pretty good! It's about Shakespeare (obviously) basically getting inspiration from falling in love with a woman. It had some of the most common conventions of Shakespeare's plays: comedy, tragedy, romance and an element of mistaken identity. The acting was pretty much entirely on point, and it definitely got an emotive response from me. I was completely drawn in to the show and I couldn't take my eyes off it. There's something quite beautiful about watching people fall in love, even if it is staged.

If you get the opportunity, it's definitely worth a watch. The entire play is very well crafted, so it's worth considering if you're in/around London and you're looking for something to do. I'm quite tempted to try and see it again, although given my lack of funds that probably won't happen for a while. 


1 comment: