Friday, 6 February 2015

"An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green | Review

SOURCE: Gift from Katrina
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: An Abundance of Katherines
AUTHOR: John Green
SERIES: -
PAGES: 227

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.75/5
MY RATING: 3/5

BLURB: 
19 Katherines and counting...
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a blood-thirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. 

INITIAL THOUGHTS: 
I asked for this for my birthday because I really wanted to give it a read. Predominantly because it's by the lovely John Green, and so far I've thoroughly enjoyed his books. 

OPENING: 
The opening chapter of this book throws you straight into the 'problem' as it were. A boy named Colin has been dumped. Was a very average opening, to be honest. I did notice the use of footnotes and (almost) every page though, and I actually quite liked that as an addition.

CHARACTERS:
Colin is definitely a stereotypical 'prodigy'. Throughout the story he is described as 'unique' which is a good word to use, if I'm honest. I don't think I've ever read a novel in which the main character is so boring (in a good way - if he wasn't boring then the story would not work, in my opinion).
Hassan, Colin's best friend, was a really genuine and good guy in the story. He's funny and a great little support for Colin, although it is clear to see that he is overshadowed by Colin.
Lindsey was irritating to me, she was the 'cool' character, but she was actually a complete fool. I won't go into masses of detail on this because it'd give the plot away, but what happens to her is so obvious.

SETTING:
The majority of the story is set in Gutshot, a fictional town in Tennessee. It works well because of its isolation, something that reflects Colin's character quite well.
It's told during summer, which actually made me quite miss sunny days. 

OVERALL: 
I gave the book a very average 3/5 stars. It was okay, and the writing, as Green's always is, was good. I guess I just found the plot a little too predictable. It was clear to me from the moment that more characters were introduced exactly what was going to happen. I was hoping for a massive John Green style twist, but unfortunately did not get one on this occasion.


No comments:

Post a Comment