Wednesday, 4 March 2015

"F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way" by John C. Parkin

When browsing through a local Waterstones store, I decided to buy something different to normal. I often go in and immediately pick up fiction, but decided that perhaps something based more on reality was what I needed. I actually ended picking up three books on that day, one on sexism, one called 'Affluenza' and finally, the book that I'm discussing today.

With a title like 'F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way' it was hard to ignore. The 'f-word' teamed with the word 'spiritual' definitely intrigued me so I decided to have a little glance at the first couple of pages, and see what I thought.

The whole point of the book is to encourage people to be less uptight about things, at least that's what I got from it. The blurb describes saying 'F**k It' as a phrase that allows you to 'stop struggling and finally do what you fancy; to ignore what everyone's telling you and go your own way'. It's hardly the most polite way of looking at things, but it definitely gets the point across.

There's so many people I know that could probably benefit from letting their hair down a little, and at times I know I could/should probably do the same. I'm not claiming this book is necessarily some sort of miracle-worker, and it's definitely not going to be received well by everyone, but I actually found that I consciously told myself to stop holding back.

Being a rather anxious person, saying 'F**k It' and letting go is not the easiest thing to do, but the day I started reading this book I forced myself out of my comfort zone and went out with some friends to somewhere I'd never been to stand in a rather large crowd of people with a lot of loud music playing. Usually these things are daunting to me, but on that particular day I felt quite relaxed. I don't know if it was just a fluke, a random moment of brilliance, or if it was my new found love of the phrase 'F**k It' and jumping straight in that did it. Whichever it was, I'm glad that I made that choice because it made for an evening of great memories that I'll treasure for some time.

The book is something I'd highly recommend to everyone. It really makes you think differently and made some really interesting and thought-provoking points about the way we live our lives. It was a 'moment' for me. A turning point.

I don't think I've ever had such a positive response to a book like this before. It was interesting and definitely kept me thinking. It didn't take me long to finish and I'll inevitably turn to it again in times of crisis/desperation/sadness in the future. It will, of course, tell me the same thing every time, but when life gets a little hectic it's very easy to forget the simplest of lessons.


2 comments:

  1. I always see this book in Waterstones, it really stands out! Glad you liked it and that it helped :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete