Friday, 20 March 2015

I Can Do Anything

At a recent job interview, the lovely interviewer asked me:
 "What's one life lesson that you have learnt in the past six months?"
At the time, I was a little shocked by this question. I don't have tons of interview experience but I've never been asked anything like that before. I did ponder the question for a little while before replying:


A little example is my many visits to London. I love London as a place but hate the crowds and the chaos and the fact that nobody ever stops. There was a time when I wouldn't have even considered spending much time there, but I've had to overcome that in order to see family and friends.
To begin with, I was very dependent on others. I didn't like the thought of going there and potentially getting lost in a big crowd of people in a big city that I don't know my way around, but having visited with Amy before Christmas and survived, I'd say my confidence grew massively, and although I don't find London the most comfortable place to be, I don't mind it as much as I did.
Before I went, I was highly unsure that I'd really be able to cope properly, but I did and I proved to myself that I really can if I want to.

Other examples of a similar nature include 1. proving to myself that I am more than capable of making a phone call to the doctors (I know it sounds silly but I'm not a fan of not knowing who's going to answer, and I used to rely on my mum to do that sort of thing for me) and 2. being able to cope with the stress of school and having a social life at the same time (it's harder than it sounds!).

I've really come to realise that in order to be able to do things, I just have to have a sprinkle of self belief. It's something that, I think. too many people struggle with. I know that it's definitely something I found hard throughout the entirety of my lower school years. Truly believing in the strength that you have as a human being is absolutely the key to success.

If you want something enough and you fight for it enough, eventually you will get it.
It might be a long road, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment