Wednesday, 6 May 2015

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn | Review

SOURCE: A gift from my sister
TYPE: Paperback 

TITLE: Gone Girl 
AUTHOR: Gillian Flynn
SERIES: -
PAGES: 496

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.97/5
MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB: 
Who are you?
What have we done to each other?
These are the questions Nick Dunne finds himself asking on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they weren't made by him. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?

WHAT I LIKED:
This book is absolutely incredible. I have never felt so mixed towards characters before and that was amazing to me. Both Nick and Amy are perfectly written and crafted but also exceptionally flawed and, in some ways, disturbing. I wasn't sure whose side I was supposed to be on for the entire story, because every time I felt I'd settled somewhere, something happened which completely threw me and made me reconsider what I'd previously seen as fact.
The way this story reveals information is so interesting. It trickles little bits of information throughout the story and then suddenly a whole heap of information or a major revelation is being thrust upon you. Because of this, I was absolutely gripped from start to finish and definitely would have got through it a lot quicker if I'd had more time to read.
This novel does cover some pretty heavy stuff, and the right amount of tension is created to go along with it. Towards the end I was so unsure about what was going to happen that I was metaphorically on the edge of my seat. It's not often I say that about a book. 

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: 
The characters themselves, they were perfectly constructed and written and so interesting to read about, but I absolutely hate them.

OVERALL: 
This book got five stars from me! Why? Because it placed me in turmoil regarding which characters I liked and which I didn't, and the way that the clues was given was incredible. If you have a super forward-thinking kind of brain then you may have had the foresight to guess at some of the things that occurred, but some were so incredibly 'out there' that they would have been almost impossible to work out. Looking back though, I do feel a bit of a fool for not figuring out what was going on. Nonetheless, the story-telling was super convincing so I won't be too hard on myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment