Monday, 28 September 2015

"If I Stay" by Gayle Forman | Review


SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Paperback 

TITLE: If I Stay
AUTHOR: Gayle Forman
SERIES: If I Stay #1
PAGES: 210

AVERAGE GOODREADS RATING: 3.96/5
MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB: 

A cold February morning...
A snowy road...
And suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone.

Except one.

As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.

WHAT I LIKED:
I read this book as a re-introduction to reading because I've not had much time lately to really enjoy a good book.
It was written from the perspective of Mia, the young girl who's world has been torn apart, and it was actually quite a devastating read.
I like the way that it moved from the present day decision she had to make, to her reflecting on her past. It was so beautiful the way the two were intertwined and I really got a sense of the characters within the story, without needing excessive description.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: 
Although this book was definitely a good read, I found that it felt a little rushed in places and a little slow at other times. It would've been nicer to have a better balance in terms of the speed of the book. Nonetheless, it's definitely a book worth reading.

OVERALL: 
I gave the book four stars, mainly for the pacing issue. I picked this book as a re-introduction to reading, as I've not properly read a book in a long time, and I'm glad that I did. I've not watched the film yet, but I do now own a copy so maybe I'll watch that soon to see how it compares. It'll be interesting to see how they portray the different moments in the film compared with the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment